Announcing the World’s Prestigious 2016 International Architecture Awards to be Exhibited at Contemorary Space Athens September 11- October 31 with Awards Gala Dinner in Athens, Greece September 23
VENICE, ITALY (July 10, 2016) —The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies have awarded over 130 new buildings, commercial and institutional developments, landscape architecture, and urban planning projects from 43 nations for The International Architecture Awards for 2016. Hundreds of submissions were received for this year’s annual Global Awards Program from architecture firms from across Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, and the Americas—each hoping to pick up a coveted International Architecture Award.
A final shortlist of 370 projects was presented to a Jury of Italian architects and critics.
The newest projects by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, Zaha Hadid Architects, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP., Kohn Pedersen Fox, Foster + Partners, AECOM, C.F. Møller Architects, HASSELL, Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP., Morphosis Architects, HOK, SPEECH architectural office, Toyo Ito & Associates, Vo Trong Nghia Architects, Haworth Tompkins, Edward Suzuki Associates, Richard Meier and Partners, Rafael de La-Hoz Arquitectos, Pininfarina, Carlos Zapata Studio, Christian de Portzamparc, Safdie Architects, Antoine Predock Architect PC., and other leading world practices were among those shortlisted for the 2016 International Architecture Awards.
The International Architecture Awards are the largest and most extensive global architecture awards program in the world, honoring new skyscrapers, commercial buildings, urban plans, private residences, and real estate projects that achieve a high standard of excellence in design, construction, planning, and sustainability and promote the best practice in all types of real estate development for the private and public sectors, including new skyscrapers, high rises, corporate and institutional buildings, commercial projects, bridges, airports, city planning, restorations and adaptive reuse, community projects, religious and civic buildings, and interiors.
This year’s selected buildings are from 43 nations including: Angola, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, China, Columbia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Latvia, Lebanon, Malta, Malaysia, México, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Singapore, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, United Kingdom, and The United States.
“The selected new buildings and urban planning projects in this year’s edition of The International Architecture Awards demonstrate a new and growing sensitivity to true human-based design and a sympathetic approach to sustainability and the environment,” states Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, Museum President, The Chicago Athenaeum.
“Like Alejandro Aravena 's theme of the 15th Venice Architecture Biennale, ‘Reporting from the Front,’ this year’s awarded projects address critical architecture and planning concerns for advanced post-industrial cities and Third World communities alike, in a way to imagine the possibilities for the future restoration and renovation of deteriorating downtown cores, depressed neighborhoods, and humanistic alternatives for derelict neighborhoods. Unlike the previous decades of modernism, this is a new, sensitive humanistic approach to present and future urban development--from mega projects to the design for public housing and community services projects.”
“The best of today’s architecture,” Mr. Narkewicz-Laine continues, “demonstrates a new International Style that has little to nothing to do with architectural ‘style,’ but more a genuine concern for the society that architecture serves. Unlike the ‘International Style’ of modernism, today’s International Architecture considers much broader issues: pedagogic requirements, topographical conditions, climatic-sensitive design, the size and needs of real communities, multiculturalism, genuine respect for the cultural concerns of city and world inhabitants, the respect for the world’s limited resources, and an advanced thinking toward a real Green Design and ecological sustainability.”
“These are the critical issues that megacities and developing societies alike face today –from urban slums, denatured megacities, conflict zones, environmentally compromised ports, and rural villages far off the grid.”
“The best of today’s architecture addresses the harnessing of simple materials, structural ingenuity and unskilled labor to bring architecture to underserved communities in a simple, low-cost, low-impact, and often beautiful way.”
“These projects awarded by the Italian jury speak about invigorated cities and city centers, the creation of domestic environments and public spaces that restore dignity to a population while offering universal space for the balanced encounter between two apparently irreconcilable worlds. These projects are at the frontline and have worldwide implications that challenge us in the way we see our world,” Narkiewicz-Laine concludes.
The 2016 Jury was held in Milan during the Venice Architecture Biennale and consisted of the following architects and architecture journalists and critics:
• Cinzia Anguissola Scacchetti, Architect - Milan, Italy
• Claudia Donà, Design Critic and Journalist, Milan, Italy
• Francesco Mendini, Architect - Milan Italy
• Maurizio Morgantini, Architect- Milan, Italy
• Franco Raggi, Architect - Milan, Italy
• Paolo Zanenga, President of Diotima Society - Milan, Italy
The awarded projects for 2016 are:
1. THE CARVE, Oslo, Norway 2014 by A-lab
2. STATOIL REGIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL OFFICES, Bærum, Norway 2012 by A-lab
3. TWIN VILLAS, Bayonne, France 2014 by DL & Associés
4. SABA APARTMENT, Tehran, Iran 2015 by TDC Office
5. HAKUSUI NURSERY SCHOOL, Sakura-shi, Chiba, Japan 2014 by Yamazaki Kentaro Design Workshop
6. ImageNet CARROLLTON REMODEL, Carrollton, Texas, USA 2015 by Elliott + Associates Architects
7. NAMAN RETREAT PURE SPA, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 2015 by MIA Design Studio
8. WALUMBA ELDERS CENTRE, Western Australia, Australia 2014 by iredale pedersen hook architects
9. FIELD PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Weston, Massachusetts, USA 2014 by Jonathan Levi Architects
10. THE STUPA OF MOTHER: BUDDHA HANGING IN AIR, Seoul, South Korea 2014 by KACI International
11. GREENHOUSE IN THE BOTANIC GARDEN, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark 2014 by C.F. Møller Architects
12. KIPARÁ TÉ EMBERA TOURIST ETNO-VILLAGE, Nuquí, Choco. Colombia 2014 by Dorado Asociados SAS
13. STONEHENGE EXHIBITION AND VISITOR CENTRE, Salisbury, United Kingdom 2013 by Denton Corker Marshall
14. ESCHERPARK, Zurich, Switzerland 2015 by Eckert, Architekten ETH BSA SIA
15. PATERSON 3, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by AR43 Architects Pte. Ltd.
16. APARTMENT HOUSE ‘5 POBEDY’, St. Petersburg, Russia 2014 by Evgeny Gerasimov and Partners Ltd.
17. MAIN ACCREDITATION CENTRE OF IAAF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, Beijing 2015, Beijing, China 2015 by Atelier Li Xinggang /China Architecture Design Group
18. CORNWALL GARDENS, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2014 by Chang Architects
19. SHIMA KICHEN, Teshima Kagawa, Japan 2014 architecte atelier ryo abe
20. PETRA MUSEUM, Wadi Musa, Jordan 2015 by maisam architects & engineers
21. BLISS@KOVAN, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2015 by Look Architects Pte. Ltd.
22. THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE CONSERVATORIUM OF MUSIC, Melbourne, Australia 2015 by HASSELL
23. EAST PERTH POWER STATION, Perth, Western Australia, Australia 2015 by HASSELL
24. KLYBECK QUAI, Basel, Switzerland 2013 by Fontana Landschaftsarchitektur
25. VALENCIA UNIVERSITY LANGUAGE CENTER, Valencia, Spain 2014 by Arkítera SLP
26. EUROPAPLATZ MULTIPURPOSE CENTER. HOUSE OF RELIGIONS AND DIALOGUE OF CULTURES, Bern, Switzerland 2014 by Bauart Architects and Planners Ltd.
27. MUSEUM FOR RURAL LABOUR, Zvizzhi, Kalugskaya Region, Russia 2015 by SPEECH architectural office
28. AUTOMOBILE DESIGN STUDIO, Mumbai, India 2015 by SJK Architects
29. MUSÉE D'ETHNOGRAPHIE DE GENÈVE, Geneva, Switzerland 2014 by Atelier Brueckner
30. DIAMOND ISLAND COMMUNITY HALL, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 2015 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
31. ACOUSTIC SHELLS, Littlehampton, West Sussex, United Kingdom 2014 by Flanagan Lawrence
32. OWASE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Owase, Mie, Japan 2013 by Yasuyuki ITO/Can
33. SHEPHERD'S BUSH PAVILION HOTEL, London, United Kingdon 2014 by Flanagan Lawrence
34. HOUSE IN AMAMI, KAGOSHIMA, Japan 2013 Matsuyama Architect and Associates
35. HOTEL OLD MILL, Belgrade, Serbia 2014 by GRAFT GmbH
36. EATON HOUSE, Dublin, Ireland 2015 by Pickard Chilton
37. EARTH VILLAGE, Ha Giang, Vietnam 2014 by 1+1>2 International Architecture JSC.
38. SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY MUSEUM, Tomsk, Russia 2014 by Studio 44 Architects
39. EVERYMAN THEATRE, LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom 2013 by Haworth Tompkins
40. GREAT AMBER, Liepaja, Latvia 2015 by Volker Giencke & Company
41. BILKENT ERZURUM LOWER SCHOOL, New York, New York, USA 2014 by FXFOWLE
42. MUSEO INTERNACIONAL BARROCO, Puebla, México 2013 by Toyo Ito & Associates, architects
43. RICHARD IVEY BUIDING, IVEY BUSINESS SCHOOL - WESTERN UNIVERSITY, London, Ontario, Canada 2013 by Hariri Pontarini Architects
44. FAB-UNION SPACE ON THE WEST BUND, Shanghai, China 2015 by Shanghai Archi-Union Architecture Design Co.Ltd.
45. NAMAN RETREAT HAY HAY RESTAURANT AND BAR, Danang, Vietnam 2015 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
46. CAM THANH COMMUNITY HOUSE, Hoi An, Vietnam 2014 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
47. NAMAN RETREAT THE BABYLON, Danang, Vietnam 2015 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
48. MOUNTAIN HOUSE, Chiba, Japan 2014 by KINO architects
49. KO SHAN THEATRE NEW WING, Hong Kong, SAR 2014 by Ronald Lu & Partners
50. THE NAKA HOTEL, Phuket, Thailand 2014 by Duangrit Bunnag Architect
51. WO HOP SHEK COLUMBARIUM AND GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE, Hong Kong, SAR 2013 by Architectural Services Department, HKSAR Government
52. GOVERNORS ISLAND PARK & PUBLIC SPACE (Phase 1), New York, New York, USA 2016 by West 8 urban design & landscape architecture b.v.
53. YALE-NUS COLLEGE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2015 by Forum Architects
55. ALUMINIUM TIP, Paris, France 2015 by Babin+Renaud architects
56. CHICHESTER FESTIVAL THEATRE, London, United Kingdom 2014 by Haworth Tompkins
57. A HOUSE FOR A MAN AND A TREE, Pamplona, Spain 2015 by taller básico de arquitectura
58. NEW CATALAN INSTITUTE OF ECONOMISTS HEADQUARTERS, Barcelona, Spain 2013 by Roldán + Berengué, arqts.
59. RESEVOIR, Ras, Rajasthan, India 2014 by Sanjay Puri Architects
60. THE VILLAGE, Alibiaugh, Maharashtra, India 2014 by Sanjay Puri Architects
61. FABRICA DE CULTURA, Barranquilla, Colombia 2013 by Urban-Think Tank
62. CONSERVATORY OF VANVES, Vanves, France 2015 by Babin+Renaud architects
63. CJ CORPORATION ONLY ONE R+D CENTER, Seoul, South Korea 2016 by CannonDesign
64. SOUNDFORMS, London, United Kingdom 2013 by Flanagan Lawrence
65. KRISTALKULE FINANSBANK HEADQUARTERS, New York, New York, USA 2015 by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP.
66. SCHOOL OF LAW AND MCKEON RESIDENCE HALL, Fordham University Lincoln Center Campus, New York, New York, USA 2014 by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP.
67. EMERSON COLLEGE LOS ANGELES, Los Angeles, California, USA 2014 by Morphosis Architects
68. CASA PORTNEW RAILWAY STATION, Morocco 2014 by AREP
69. MONTPELLIER SAINT-ROCH STATION, Montpellier, France 2014 by AREP
70. DAR IL-HANIN SAMARITAN CONFERENCE CENTRE AND MEDITATION GARDEN, Malta 2014 by Richard England Architects
71. YUNNAN PROVINCIAL MUSEUM, Yunnan Sheng, China 2015 by Rocco design Architects Ltd.
72. FINE ARTS MUSEUM OF ASTURIAS, Oviedo, Spain 2013 by Mangado & Asociados
73. BUENOS AIRES CIUDAD CASA DE GOBIERNO, Buenos Aires, Argentina 2015 by Foster + Partners
74. MEG MUSÉE D'ETHNOGRAPHIE, Geneva, Switzerland 2014 by Hager Partner AG
75. MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE LIBRARY RENOVATION - THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, Brooklyn, New York, USA 2014 by ikon.5 architects
76. DOUBLE RAINBOW, Karuizawa, Japan 2015 by Edward Suzuki Associates
77. BURNTWOOD SCHOOL, London, United Kingdom 2014 by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
78. d'Leedon, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2014 by Zaha Hadid Architects
79. CANADIAN MUSEUM FOR HUMAN RIGHTS, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada 2014 by Antoine Predock Architect PC.
80. ONE VANDERBILT, New York, New York, USA 2012 by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
81. TOM BRADLEY INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL AT LAX, Los Angeles, California, USA 2013 by Fentress Architects
82. AKSOYLAR KARTAL OFFICE, Istanbul, Turkey 2015 by SPDO Office
83. MUSEUM COMPLEX, GAndhinagar, Gujarat, India 2013 by HCP Design Planning & Management Pvt. Ltd.
84. GUGGENHEIM HELSINKI, Helsinki, Finland 2014 by XTEN Architecture
85. ASIA CULTURE CENTER, Gwangju, Gwangsan-Dong, Jung-Gu, South Korea 2014 by Kyu Sung Woo Architects
86. CANADA STREET BRIDGE, Auckland, New Zealand 2015 by Monk Mackenzie Architects
87. CUARZO REFORMA, México City, D.F México 2014 by Richard Meier and Partners
88. HIRIYA LANDFILL REHABILITATION, Tel Aviv, Israel 2015 by Latz+Partner
89. THE AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY, Ridge, New York, USA 2014 by Marvel Architects
90. ST. ANN'S WAREHOUSE, Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA 2015 by Marvel Architects
91. JTI HEADQUARTERS, Geneva, Switzerland 2015 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP.
92. PROMENADA VELENJE, Velenje, Slovenia 2014 by ENOTA
93. MOHICAN HILLS HOUSE, Bethesda, Maryland, USA 2015 by Robert M. Gurney, FAIA, Architect
94. ZORLU LEVENT, Istanbul, Turkey 2014 by Tabanlioglu Architects
95. CENTRE FOR RENOVATION OF THE 20TH-CENTURY ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE, Brno, Czech Republic 2014 by Archteam
96. RAINBOW ROOM, New York, New York, USA 2015 by Gabellini Sheppard
97. WALDORF ASTORIA BEIJING, Beijing, China 2014 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
98. FKI TOWER, Seoul, South Korea 2013 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
99. ISTANBUL CULTURAL CENTER, Istanbul, Turkey 2015 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
100. GOLDEN HORN SHIPYARD, Istanbul, Turkey 2015 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
101. XSD INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE RETAIL DISTRICT, Wuxi City, China 2012 by SKEW Collaborative
102. FORESTAURANT, Hanoi, Vietnam 2014 by H&P Architects
103. TOIGETATION, Son Lap School, Son Lap Commune, Bao Lac, Cao Bang Province, Vietnam 2014 by H&P Architects
104. UAE PAVILION - MILAN EXPO 2015, Milan, Italy 2015 by Foster + Partners
105. TRAIN CONTROL CENTRE, Utrecht, The Netherlands 2015 by de Jong Gortemaker Algra architects and engineers
106. H-16 CANNES AIRPORT, Cannes 2013 by Comte Vollenweider Architectes
107. FANGSHAN TANGSHAN NATIONAL GEOPARK MUSEUM, Nanjing, China 2015 by Studio Odile Decq
108. THE ORANGERY, HOLTE, Denmark 2015 by Lenschow & Pihlmann
109. THE CAPERS, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2012 by RT+Q Architects Pte. Ltd.
110. WORLD WAR I MEMORIAL, WASHINGTON D.C., USA 2015 by KAMJZ Architects
111. KING ABDULLAH PETROLEUM STUDIES + RESEARCH CENTER (KAPSARC) COMMUNITY MASJID, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) 2013 by HOK
112. KACST HEADQUARTERS, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 2014 by LAVA - Laboratory for Visionary Architecture
113. GREEN CITY SPECTATOR-ATLANTA 10TH STREET BRIDGE, Atlanta, Georgia, USA 2015 by KAMJZ Architects
114. SKY EXHIBITION - HELSINKI GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM, Helsinki, Finland 2014 by KAMJZ Architects
115. THE BREWERY YARD, SYDNEY, NSW, Australia 2014 by Tzannes
116. RIBBON CHAPEL, Onomichi, Hiroshima, Japan 2014 by Hiroshi Nakamura & NAP Co., Ltd.
117. GREEN CLIMATE FUND, Bonn, Germany 2012 by LAVA - Laboratory for Visionary Architecture
118. PLANTAGON, LInköping, Sweden 2014 by Sweco Architects AB
119. THE ICEBERG, Aarhus, Denmark 2013 by SeARCH
120. CASA BRUTALE, Beirut, Lebanon 2015 by OPA Open Platform for Architecture
121.DAOÍZ Y VELARDE CULTURAL CENTRE, Madrid, Spain 2013 by Rafael de La-Hoz Arquitectos
122. AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TOWER AND TECHNICAL BUILDING, Istanbul New Airport, Istanbul, Turkey 2015 by AECOM and Pinninfarina
123. ART HOUSE, Moscow, Russia 2012 by Sergey Skuratov Architects
124. HOUSE OF DIOR, Seoul, South Korea 2015 by 2/Portzamparc
125. HAN SHOW THEATRE, London, United Kingdom 2014 by Stufish Entertainment Architects
126. DAI SHOW THEATRE, Wuhan, China 2015 by Stufish Entertainment Architects
127. GREENLAND TOWER CHENGDU, Chengdu, China 2014 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
128. PROJECT JEWEL AT CHANGI AIRPORT, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2018 by Safdie Architects
129. ArtScience MUSEUM, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2012 by Safdie Architects
130. BAMBOO SKYSCRAPER, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 2014 by CRG Architects
131. HIGH TECH TOWER, Luanda, Angola 2018 by Carlos Zapata Studio
132. HAGHANI PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, Tehran, Iran 2015 by 3rd skin architects
All buildings and urban planning projects can be viewed at www.europeanarch.eu or at www.chi-athenaeum.org
This elite group of buildings and urban planning projects selected by the jury will be premiered at Contemporary Space Athens (74 Mitropoleos Str., GR-105 63 Athens, Greec) opening September 11 and continuing through October, 2016.
The exhibition is entitled The City and the World and is scheduled to travel to Ismir, Turkey and through in Europe through 2016-2017.
The Awards Presentation takes place at The Chicago Athenaeum in Athens, Greece on Friday, September 23. RSVP is required. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The buildings and urban planning projects are also published as a catalogue for Global Design + Urbanism XVI (“New International Architecture”) edited by Christian Narkiewicz-Laine for Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd. and is available through The European Centre and www.metropolitanartspress.com.
NOTE TO REPORTERS AND EDITORS:
Photos of the 2016 International Architecture Awards are available for download. For more details on the award and previous winners, visit The European Centre’s website at www.europeanarch.eu
About The Chicago Athenaeum (www.chi-athenaeum.org
) is a global nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Its mission is to provide public education about the significance of architecture and design and how those disciplines can have a positive effect on the human environment. The International Architecture Awards © 2016 by The Chicago Athenaeum and The European Center together with Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd.
The International Architecture Awards ©2016 by The Chicago Athenaeum and The European Center together with Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd.